Welcome to the Govan Reminiscence Group website
Govan now a district in the south west of Glasgow sits on the banks of the River Clyde and has a rich and varied history that makes it more distinct than most other districts in Glasgow. One of the earliest Christian settlements in Scotland and home to the dynasty of the Ancient Kingdom of Strathclyde, in the 19th century it rose from a sleepy village of weavers and fishermen to one of the most industrious burghs in Scotland until its annexation to Glasgow in 1912.
Map of the Village of Govan in 1837, created by W.G. Barras M.D. in 1903